Coping is a term that is used to identify the concrete material that is used to cap the shell walls of the pool. Concrete pool coping outlines your swimming pool to make it more pleasing to the eyes and it also provides safety for those that are entering the pool. It serves as the pool’s edge and is a very important in the construction of swimming pools because it protects the pool shell and provides a non-slip surface for people that enter the pool. You may choose marble or travertine pool copings – that will basically depend on your preferences and the style of your pool.
There are different types of swimming pool copings like the poured and precast concrete coping. These are how you can install your pool coping for yourself. Read on to know how the two differs.
Poured and Precast Concrete Coping
- Poured Concrete- This type of swimming pool coping requires the use of a plastic mold along the edge of the pool. It is a uniform and unbroken finished edge for your pool.
- Precast Concrete- This is a pre-made concrete block that is purchased and installed in pieces to suit the style and shape of your pool.
The Installation of Pool Copings
Installing pool copings around a pool is just like installing tile floors. There are few steps and precautions that you have to remember so you can install them well. You may follow these steps.
- Place the first full stone on the edge of the pool. The rounded edge has to be hanging over the wall of the pool.
- Add additional stones in the areas between the stones that you have laid.
- Put additional rows of stepping stones to make a wider coping.
- Prepare the stones for mortaring. Number the stones with chalk as your move them away from the pool. This will help you remember where each piece belongs.
- Apply a layer of mortar on the area where you will place the stones.
- Lay the expansion joints that are between the coping row and in the stepping stone rows.
- Fill the gaps with mortar.
- Apply coats of sealant. Three to four coats will do.
The installation of pool copings may be complicated so it will be very beneficial if you will seek professional help. But of course, you must find quality stones first. Marble and travertine pool copings are beautiful and classic. They can provide the ambiance that can make your outdoor more inviting and refreshing. Pool copings can also make your pools safe and prevents water from traveling inside the pool’s wall. Make sure that they fit your pool accurately.